Are you confused about the difference between a terrace and a balcony? You are certainly not alone! Many people have difficulty distinguishing one from the other. A terrace is an area of land or pavement, usually behind or adjacent to a building, that is used for relaxing, entertaining, and enjoying the outdoors. On the other hand, a balcony typically refers to a platform built overhanging part of an upper story on a house that can be accessed directly from inside the building – often big enough for two people to stand on it at once and enjoy views away from ground level. Read on to learn more about each and how they differ!
What is Terrace?
- A terrace is a type of outdoor living space that is typically built on the roof or side of a residence. Terrace spaces are generally used for entertaining, relaxing, or taking in gorgeous views of nearby areas.
- They provide a way to bring comfort and convenience to the outdoors while preserving privacy away from onlookers. Terrace landscaping can range from quaint potted plants and lounging furniture to elaborate outdoor kitchen designs.
- The terrace is an enjoyable way to create useable outdoor space in any residential environment, making it great for hosting friends and family or simply unwinding after your day.
What is Balcony?
- The balcony is an exterior extension of a room that offers spectacular views, fresh air, and natural light. Balconies aren’t just an aesthetically pleasing addition to a home – they can also increase the real estate value of any property.
- Whether it’s a stand-alone balcony or one attached directly to a bedroom or living space, a balcony adds functional space to whatever area in which it resides. Balconies could be seen anywhere from small apartment buildings to massive penthouses.
- Balconies come in all shapes and sizes, valuable for entertaining guests or simply taking in the view. The balcony is not only a luxury for those with pricey homes – anyone with access to square footage outside their property has the option of building one as part of their existing structure.
Difference between Terrace and Balcony
The terrace and balcony are two different architectural structures, one on the ground floor while the other at a higher level.
- The terrace is usually larger in size than balconies and is located outside of a building. It consists of an open floor with no walls or terrace frames surrounding it, allowing better air circulation, perfect for outdoor activities like parties, gatherings, or sleeping under the stars.
- The balcony on the other hand is small with fences and walls surrounding its edges. It can be used for decoration as well as for personal use to enjoy the view from the high point of your property.
- The terrace also helps in providing privacy as it’s not so close to other buildings and its construction structure supports shade during extreme summer months due to its height from ground level.
However, the balcony often gets less sunlight due to its smaller surface area and being from the nearer position in comparison to the terrace.
A balcony is a platform that projects from the side of a building and is enclosed by a railing. A terrace is an external, raised, open area in front of a house or other building. Terraces are used as gardens or for recreation. Balconies are smaller and meant for the enjoyment of the outdoors while staying close to your home. While they may seem like similar features, there are key differences between terraces and balconies that you should be aware of before adding either one to your home.