There is a big difference between a passport book and a passport card. A passport book is an official document that proves your identity and nationality when traveling overseas. A passport card, on the other hand, is a wallet-sized card that can only be used for land and sea travel within the United States. So, which one should you get? Here’s a breakdown of the pros and cons of each option.
What is a Passport Book?
- Passport books are issued by the government and contain information about the holder’s identity and citizenship. They are used for international travel and are typically valid for 10 years.
- Passport books have several pages for visas and other entry stamps, as well as space for personal information and a photo of the holder. Some passport books also have special features like watermarks and security threads to help prevent counterfeiting.
- Passport books are generally required for air travel, but some countries also accept passport cards. Passport cards are smaller and less expensive than passport books, but they can only be used for land and sea travel to certain destinations.
What is Passport Card?
- A Passport Card is a small, credit card-sized ID that can be used in lieu of a Passport Book for travel by land and sea within the United States and its territories. Passport Cards can be handy for those who frequently travel to Mexico, Canada, or the Caribbean via car or boat.
- The cards are also convenient for seniors or children who might have trouble carrying a larger Passport Book. However, it’s important to note that Passport Cards cannot be used for air travel.
- If you’re planning a vacation that includes international flights, you’ll need to use a Passport Book instead. For most travelers, Passport Cards are a helpful and convenient way to show proof of citizenship and identity when crossing U.S. borders.
Difference between a Passport Book and Passport Card
A Passport Book is a travel document that is issued by the government and it allows the holder to travel to any country of their choice. It contains the holder’s personal information such as name, date of birth, photo, and other identifying details. A Passport Card, on the other hand, is a credit card-sized document that can be used for travel to certain countries within a specific region.
For example, a passport card issued by the United States can only be used for travel to Canada, Mexico, and the Caribbean. Both passport book and passport card are valid for a period of 10 years. However, a passport card cannot be used for international air travel. Therefore, if you are planning to travel outside of your region, it is important to obtain a passport book.
If you’re looking to travel outside of the United States, it’s important to understand the different types of passports available and which one is best for your needs. The passport book is a traditional passport that is valid for international travel by air, land, or sea. The passport card can only be used for domestic travel within the United States and its territories. If you plan on doing a lot of international traveling, the passport book is the better option. However, if you don’t anticipate crossing any borders other than those in North America, then the passport card will do just fine.