Did you know that there are two types of birth control pills? The first, and most common, is the combination pill. This contains both estrogen and progestin, which help to prevent pregnancy. The second type is the mini-pill, which only contains progestin. There are many different brands of both types of pills, but today we’re going to focus on Yaz and Loestrin. So, what’s the difference between Yaz and Loestrin? Let’s find out!
What is Yaz?
Yaz is a birth control pill that was first approved by the FDA in 2006. It is a combination of two hormones, progestin, and estrogen, which work together to prevent pregnancy. Yaz is unique in that it also contains drospirenone, a progestin that has been shown to have some additional benefits, such as reducing the risk of certain types of cancer and helping to regulate mood swings. Yaz is taken once daily, and it is typically used for a three-month period, followed by a one-week break. Yaz is an effective form of birth control, and it can also be used to treat other conditions, such as acne and premenstrual dysphoric disorder.
What is Loestrin?
Loestrin is a prescription medication that is used to treat symptoms of the premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD) and moderate acne in women who are at least 14 years old.
- Loestrin is a combination of two hormones, Ethinyl estradiol, and norethindrone, that work together to inhibit ovulation, thin the lining of the uterus, and reduce the production of sebum, which can clog pores and lead to breakouts.
- Loestrin is taken orally once daily for 21 days, followed by a 7-day break during which breakthrough bleeding may occur. If you miss a pill, you should take it as soon as possible and continue taking Loestrin as directed. Loestrin is available in two strengths:
- Loestrin 24 Fe and Loestrin 30 Fe. Loestrin 24 Fe contains 20 micrograms of Ethinyl estradiol and 1 mg of norethindrone acetate, while Loestrin 30 Fe contains 30 micrograms of Ethinyl estradiol and 1 mg of norethindrone acetate.
- Loestrin 24 Fe is more effective in reducing the severity of PMDD symptoms than Loestrin 30 Fe, but both formulations are equally effective in treating acne.
Talk to your doctor about which formulation is right for you.
Difference between Yaz and Loestrin
Yaz and Loestrin are two of the most popular birth control pills on the market.
- Both Yaz and Loestrin contain the same active ingredient, Ethinyl estradiol, which is a synthetic form of the hormone estrogen.
- Yaz also contains the progestin drospirenone, while Loestrin contains the progestin norethindrone.
- Both Yaz and Loestrin are highly effective at preventing pregnancy, but they have some different side effects.
- Yaz is more likely to cause nausea and weight gain, while Loestrin is more likely to cause breast tenderness and headaches.
- Yaz is also more expensive than Loestrin.
Ultimately, the best birth control pill for you depends on your individual medical history and preferences.
Yaz and Loestrin are two types of oral contraceptives. They both contain the same hormones, but they have different delivery methods. Yaz is a pill that is taken once per day, while Loestrin is a pill that is taken twice per day. Both pills are equally effective in preventing pregnancy.