Schizophrenia vs. Psychosis
What is the difference between Schizophrenia and Psychosis? Often, many people confuse the terms schizophrenia and psychosis. One way to differentiate them is to know that schizophrenia is defined as a disease and psychosis is the active form of the disease. There are also other ways to differentiate them:
Difference between Schizophrenia and Psychosis
- Active signals: if you suffer from psychosis you will have an active signal as the therapists call them. These signals include a variety of different things like hallucinations, hearing voices, and paranoia, among others. These signs appear at least 5% of the total life of a person.
- Negative symptoms: when psychosis is under control through the use of medications, you will begin to observe several negative symptoms of the disorder. Some include depression, lack of motivation, and fatigue, among others.
- Self-control: when you have psychosis self-control, it seems to be less or you may not even have it. The general ability to tell the difference between good and evil is less. With schizophrenia, on the other hand, self-control works as it does in any normal person.
- Self-conscious: when an episode of psychosis is experienced, self-consciousness seems to go down and sometimes reaches a point where you can not know whether or not you are experiencing an episode of psychosis. With schizophrenia, self-consciousness works like any normal person.
- Duration: when you suffer from psychosis it usually lasts from a few days to weeks. Episodes of schizophrenia can be throughout life.
- Reality: when you suffer from psychosis you will find that it is difficult to distinguish things that can happen in real life from what goes on in the mind. The thought in the mind seems real just like other hallucinations. Schizophrenia allows us to distinguish reality from what is not.
- Treatment: the only treatment that works for a person suffering from psychosis is medication. With schizophrenia, it would be much easier for one to stay in a good emotional state by having a boyfriend/girlfriend, a career, and maintaining a diet, among other things.
If you feel you are suffering from psychosis or schizophrenia, it is very important that you seek medical attention. Through early detection, you will have a greater chance of having a better life.
- With psychosis, self-control will be less than in a person with schizophrenia.
- Self-awareness will be lower in people with psychosis.
- The duration of psychosis occurs between days and weeks while schizophrenia occurs for life.
- The treatment for psychosis is anti-psychosis medication while for schizophrenia there are numerous options.