There are a few key differences between Novolog and Humalog, two of the most popular types of insulin. Novolog is faster-acting, while Humalog is known for being more precise in its dosing. Which type of insulin is right for you will depend on your needs and preferences. Talk to your doctor to figure out which type of insulin is best for you.
What is Novolog?
- Novolog is a type of fast-acting insulin that is used to control blood sugar levels in people with diabetes. Novolog begins working within minutes after injection, peaks in about an hour, and continues to work for up to four hours.
- Novolog is typically used before meals to help control blood sugar levels after eating. Novolog is a man-made insulin that is very similar to the insulin that is produced by the pancreas. Novolog is available in vials and prefilled pens.
- Novolog can also be used in an insulin pump. Novolog is a prescription medication that is used along with diet and exercise to control blood sugar levels in people with diabetes. Novolog may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
What is Humalog?
- Humalog is a man-made insulin used to control blood sugar in people who have diabetes. Humalog starts working faster than regular insulin and works for a shorter amount of time.
- Humalog is a rapid-acting insulin that is usually given just before meals. Humalog also comes in a mix with longer-acting insulin. This is called Humalog Mix 75/25 or Humalog Mix 50/50.
- The mix can help control blood sugar at mealtimes and throughout the day or night. Humalog should not be used during episodes of low blood sugar or if you are allergic to Humalog. Talk with your doctor about the best way to use Humalog.
Difference between Novolog and Humalog
Novolog and Humalog are two popular brands of insulin.
- Novolog is a rapid-acting insulin, while Humalog is a short-acting insulin.
- Novolog is typically used before meals, while Humalog is typically used after meals.
- Novolog works more quickly than Humalog, so it is better at controlling blood sugar spikes after eating.
- However, Novolog can also cause more low blood sugar episodes than Humalog.
Therefore, Novolog is typically only used by people with type 1 diabetes or by people with type 2 diabetes who are unable to control their blood sugar with other medications.
The bottom line is that Novolog and Humalog are both effective in controlling blood sugar levels, but they work in slightly different ways. If you’re having trouble deciding which one to use, speak with your doctor about what might be the best option for you. In the meantime, we hope this article has helped clear up some of the confusion between these two popular insulin medications.