Maharashtra and Gujarat are two of the most popular states in India. While they share a lot of similarities, there are also some key differences between them. This blog post will explore those differences in detail.
Who is Maharashtra?
Maharashtra is a state located in the western region of India. It is the second most populous state in the country with over 112 million residents. Maharashtra is also the third largest state by area, covering 307,713 square kilometers.
- The capital city of Maharashtra is Mumbai, which is also the largest metropolis in India. Maharashtra is home to many historical and cultural sites, as well as natural beauty.
- Some of the notable tourist destinations include Ajanta and Ellora caves, Elephanta Island, and the Gateway of India. Maharashtra is also home to a number of industries, including information technology, automobile manufacturing, and pharmaceuticals.
- The state has a diverse economy that contributes significantly to the national GDP. Maharashtra is an important state in India both culturally and economically.
Who is Gujarat?
Gujarat is a state located in the western part of India. Gujarat was historically a part of the Gujarat Sultanate, which was established in the 15th century. The Gujarat Sultanate was eventually annexed by the Mughal Empire in the 16th century.
- Gujarat remained a part of the Mughal Empire until the 18th century when the Maratha Empire took control of the region. Gujarat was eventually absorbed into the British Raj in 1818.
- After India attained independence from Britain in 1947, Gujarat became a part of the Indian Union. The capital city of Gujarat is Gandhinagar, and the largest city is Ahmedabad.
- Gujarati is the official language of Gujarat. The state is home to a number of tourist destinations, such as the Sabarmati Ashram and the Rani ki Vav. Gujarat is also well-known for its textiles and its cuisine.
Difference between Maharashtra and Gujarat
Maharashtra and Gujarat are two of the most populous states in India. Maharashtra is located in the western part of the country, while Gujarat is situated in the westernmost part of the country.
- Maharashtra has a total population of over 112 million, while Gujarat has a population of over 60 million. Maharashtra covers an area of 307,713 square kilometers, while Gujarat covers an area of 196,024 square kilometers.
- Mumbai, the capital city of Maharashtra, is the most populous city in India with a population of over 18 million. Ahmedabad, the largest city in Gujarat, has a population of over 5 million.
- Maharashtra is home to some of the most popular tourist destinations in India such as Mahabaleshwar and Lonavala, while Gujarat is home to places like Gir National Park and Modiin National Park. Maharashtra is also home to the Bollywood film industry, while Gujarati is the official language spoken in Gujarat.
The two states have their own distinct cultures and it is interesting to see the contrasts between them. Gujarat is known for its entrepreneurial spirit, while Maharashtra is more industrialized. I hope this article has given you a better understanding of the differences between these two states in India.