There are many different diets out there these days, all with the promise of helping you reach your goals. But what is the difference between keto and paleo? And which one is right for you? Keep reading to find out!
What is Keto?
The ketogenic, or “keto,” diet is a low-carbohydrate, fat-rich eating plan that has been used for centuries to treat specific medical conditions. In the 19th century, the ketogenic diet was commonly used to help control diabetes.
- In the 1920s and 1930s, it was widely used to treat epilepsy in children. The keto diet is still used today to help manage certain health conditions, such as diabetes and epilepsy, but it’s also become popular as a weight-loss strategy.
- When you follow a keto diet, your body enters a state of ketosis, which is when you start burn stored fat for energy. Keto diets can be helpful for people who want to lose weight because they’re satiating and can help you stick to your calorie goals; plus, they often result in quick weight loss.
- However, following a strict keto diet can be challenging and may not be sustainable for everyone. If you’re interested in trying out a keto diet, talk to your doctor or a registered dietitian first to see if it’s right for you.
What is Paleo?
Paleo is a way of eating that focuses on whole, unprocessed foods. The Paleo diet is based on the types of foods that our hunter-gatherer ancestors would have eaten, including meats, fish, vegetables, fruits, and nuts.
- Paleo proponents believe that by avoiding processed foods and instead focus on eating like our ancestors did, we can improve our health and reduce our risk of chronic diseases.
- Paleo has become increasingly popular in recent years, with many people following the diet for weight loss, improved energy levels, and other health benefits.
- There is no one-size-fits-all approach to Paleo, and people can tailor the diet to their individual needs and preferences. However, the basic principles of Paleo remain the same: eat whole, unprocessed foods and avoid processed foods as much as possible.
Difference between Keto and Paleo
Keto and Paleo are two popular diets that have gained a lot of popularity in recent years. Both diets focus on eating whole, unprocessed foods and limiting or eliminating processed foods, sugar, and grains.
- Keto is a high-fat, low-carb diet that promotes ketosis, a state in which your body burns fat for fuel.
- Paleo is a more moderate approach that focuses on eating nutrient-dense foods like vegetables, fruits, meat, and fish.
- Both diets have been shown to promote weight loss and improved health, but they differ in some key ways.
- Keto may be more effective for weight loss and blood sugar control, while Paleo may be better for gut health and heart health.
Ultimately, the best diet for you is the one you can stick with long-term. If you’re considering starting either diet, talk to your doctor or a registered dietitian to get started.
The main difference is that keto is a high-fat, low-carbohydrate diet, while paleo is a high-protein, low-carbohydrate diet. Both diets have been shown to be effective for weight loss and improving health biomarkers, but some people find keto easier to stick to than paleo.