Google Glass and Microsoft HoloLens are both newer technologies that provide augmented reality. But what is the difference between them? What are their pros and cons? Let’s take a look.
What is Google Glass?
Google Glass is a type of wearable computer that is designed to be worn like a pair of glasses. Google Glass can be used to take photos, record videos, send messages, and perform other functions. Google Glass is controlled by voice commands and gestures. Google Glass was released in 2013 and is currently available to a limited number of users. Google Glass has been criticized for its high price and privacy concerns. Google has announced that it will stop production of Google Glass in 2019.
What is Microsoft HoloLens?
Microsoft HoloLens is a type of wearable computer that enables users to interact with digital content in a three-dimensional environment. Microsoft refers to this as “holographic computing.”
- The device consists of a visor and a headset, which houses the display and other hardware components. The HoloLens display uses light projection and interference to create the illusion of holograms that appear to float in mid-air.
- These holograms can be interacted with using gestures and voice commands. Microsoft has developed a number of applications for the HoloLens, including games, productivity tools, and mixed-reality experiences.
- The device has also been used for medical training, product design, and architectural visualization. Microsoft HoloLens is one of the most advanced examples of augmented reality technology currently available.
Difference between Google Glass and Microsoft HoloLens
Google Glass and Microsoft HoloLens are both wearable technology devices that allow users to see information in a hands-free format. Google Glass is a head-mounted display that shows information in a small rectangular prism in the upper corner of the user’s field of view.
- Microsoft HoloLens projects images and information onto the user’s field of view, allowing them to interact with digital content in a three-dimensional way.
- Google Glass is primarily controlled through voice commands and touchpad controls on the side of the device, while HoloLens features an array of sensors that allow users to interact with content through gestures and eye movement.
- Google Glass is designed for use in a wide range of applications, from navigation and mapping to hands-free computing and videoconferencing.
HoloLens, on the other hand, is focused on providing an immersive experience for gaming, entertainment, and educational applications.
In a nutshell, Glass is more about viewing information while HoloLens is more about interacting with information. If you’re looking for an immersive experience that will allow you to view your world in a new way, go with Glass. If you want to be able to interact with holograms and have them integrated into your real-world surroundings, choose HoloLens.