Desire Vs. Need
Difference between Desire and Need: – Between wanting and needing there is a big difference, but sometimes people do not know this and considered both of the same.
Next, we will explain to you what the difference between desire and need is so that you do not get confused when defining each one of these concepts.
Difference between Desire and Need
Needs refer to things that are essential to one’s survival and are essential elements without which either we could not live or we would have a poor quality of life.
To fulfill our desires we must first have our basic needs met.
Among the most important basic needs, we can mention water, food, shelter, and clothing. In order to aspire to a full life,
we must first meet these and other needs; since they are of paramount importance.
Many times the needs are placed in a certain hierarchy,
What is Abraham Maslow theory?
In that hierarchical order, Maslow represents those who according to him are the 5 needs of human beings.
Abraham Maslow represents the needs as follows:
- physiological (Food and clothes)
- security (Employment)
- belonging (Love and Friendship)
- esteem ( Ego and pride)
- self-realization ( Understanding the inner you)
For Further Reading: Wanting vs Needing
On the other hand, desires refer to things that one would like to have or to experience and which are not basic necessities;
since not getting what you want does not imply that whoever wants is going to die and will reduce their quality of life.
Finally, it is very important to find the balance between desires and needs,
because although needs always have priority; this does not mean that desires do not matter,
on the contrary, the satisfaction of some desires can even help us to be happier and to feel better with our life.
Key differences between Desire and Need
- Desires are things that are not essential to life, but needs are.
- Needs refer to elements without which survival or quality of life is not possible,
- Desires refer to things that we want to have or achieve in order to feel better.
- Needs are more important than desires.
- Examples of needs are: Food, Water, and Clothing.
- Examples of desires are: Buying Gadgets, Vacations, Trips.