There are many different types of fried steak, but most people are familiar with country fried steak and chicken fried steak. While both dishes are made with beef, there is a big difference between the two. We will take a look at the difference between these two popular dishes.
What is Country Fried Steak?
Country Fried Steak is a dish that typically consists of a beefsteak that has been coated in a flour and egg mixture, then fried. It is often served with gravy, mashed potatoes, and vegetables. The dish is said to have originated in the southern United States, and it has become a popular menu item at restaurants across the country. While the exact origins of Country Fried Steak are unknown, it is clear that this dish has become a beloved part of American cuisine.
What is Chicken Fried Steak?
- Chicken fried steak is a popular dish in the Southern United States. It typically consists of a beefsteak that has been breaded and fried, similar to chicken fried chicken. The steak is usually served with cream gravy or a tomato based sauce.
- While the origins of chicken fried steak are unclear, it is thought to have originated in the early 1800s. settlers who arrived in the American West from the East Coast were familiar with dishes like chicken pot pie and Beef Wellington. In order to make these dishes more affordable, they began using cheaper cuts of meat, such as round steak.
- Over time, this dish became known as “chicken fried steak.” Today, chicken fried steak remains a popular dish in the South. It can be found on the menus of many restaurants, diners, and cafes. Chicken fried steak is often served with mashed potatoes, biscuits, and greens.
Difference between Country Fried Steak and Chicken Fried Steak
- Country fried steak and chicken fried steak are two popular southern dishes that are often served with creamy gravy and mashed potatoes. While both dishes feature a breaded and fried beef Steak, there are some key differences between the two.
- Country fried steak is typically made with a cheaper, tougher cut of beef that is pounded thin and then dredged in a seasoned flour mixture. Chicken fried steak, on the other hand, is made with a higher quality cut of beef that is first tenderized by marinating it in buttermilk.
- The beef is then coated in a mixture of flour, eggs, and spices before being fried to perfection. While both dishes are delicious, chicken fried steak is generally considered to be the superior dish due to its juicier, more tender meat.
Country Fried Steak is a breaded steak that is typically pan-fried. It is usually made from beef, but pork and chicken can also be used. Chicken Fried Steak, on the other hand, is a breaded steak that is deep-fried. It is typically made from beef, but pork and chicken can also be used.
The two dishes are very similar, but there are some key differences. The most obvious difference is that Country Fried Steak is pan-fried while Chicken Fried Steak is deep-fried. Another difference is the type of meat that is used in each dish. Country Fried Steak uses beef or pork, while Chicken Fried Steak uses beef or chicken.