The words condole and console are often confused because they have similar meanings. However, there is a big difference between the two words. The word condole means to express sympathy or pity for someone who is mourning. The word console means to give comfort or consolation to someone who is distressed. So, if you want to express sympathy for someone, you should use the word condole. If you want to give comfort to someone, you should use the word console.
What is Condole?
- Condole is a word that is used to express sympathy or condolences. It can be used as a verb, meaning to offer condolences, or as a noun, referring to an expression of sympathy. Condole is often used in situations where someone has died, but it can also be used to express sympathy for other types of loss, such as the loss of a job or a relationship.
- While condole can be used in both formal and informal settings, it is more commonly used in formal situations, such as when writing a sympathy card. In addition to expressing sympathy, condole can also be used as a way to show support or solidarity with someone who is grieving.
- For example, you might say to a friend who has lost a loved one that you are “so sorry for your loss” or “if there’s anything I can do to help, please let me know.” By offering words of support and comfort, you can let someone know that they are not alone in their grief.
What is Console?
- Console is an verb meaning to aid or support someone who is struggling, usually emotionally. It often takes the form of offering advice or a shoulder to cry on, but can also be material support such as giving money.
- Console can also be used as a noun, referring to the act of providing support or the object through which support is given, such as a piece of furniture. The word comes from the Latin consolari, meaning “to comfort,” which in turn comes from the prefix com-, meaning “together,” and solari, meaning “to soothe.” Console is related to the words consolation and solicitous.
- You might console yourself with the thought that you did your best even though you didn’t win the game. Console can also be used as a noun to refer to the control panel of a computer or video game system, where users input commands. It’s not uncommon for gamers to refer to their controller as their console. When used this way, it’s pronounced KAHN-sol. Console has been used in English since the 15th century.
Difference between Condole and Console
Condole means to mourn with someone. Console means to give comfort to someone. Condoling is an act of sympathy. Consoling is an act of support. Condoling is shown when someone’s family member dies. Consoling can be shown when a family member is going through a tough time such as a divorce. Condoling requires more physical touch such as hugging and Conding.
Consoling may just require verbal communication such as talking and listening. Condolences are usually given in the form of cards, flowers, or food. consoles are usually given in the form of advice, support, or simply being there for someone. Condolences are given after someone died. consoles are given when someone is going through a tough time but they are still alive.
The next time you’re looking for a word to describe your feelings, be sure to choose condole instead of console. Console may have been the more popular choice in the past, but with its negative associations, it’s time to retire the word and give condole its due credit.