difference between z

Difference between Blood and Plasma

Difference between Blood and Plasma

There are many differences between blood and plasma, the most significant being that blood cells are suspended in plasma. Plasma is a clear, colorless fluid that makes up 55% of blood volume. It consists of 90% water and 10% dissolved proteins, salts, lipids, and glucose. Blood cells account for less than 1% of the total volume of blood. Plasma supports the functions of red blood cells, white blood cells, and platelets by delivering essential substances to them and removing waste products. Differences between plasma and other body fluids will be discussed in another post. Stay tuned!

What is Blood?

Blood is a tissue that circulates throughout the body, carrying oxygen and nutrients to the cells and removing waste products. It is composed of three main types of cells: red blood cells, white blood cells, and platelets. Red blood cells are the most abundant type of blood cell and are responsible for carrying oxygen to the body’s tissues. White blood cells are part of the immune system and help to fight infection. Platelets are small fragments of cells that play an important role in blood clotting. Blood also contains plasma, a yellowish liquid that suspends the blood cells.

What is Plasma?

Plasma is a bodily fluid that contains essential nutrients and proteins that help to sustain life. Plasma is composed of roughly 90% water, with the remaining 10% made up of salts, enzymes, coagulation factors, immunoglobulins, and other proteins. Plasma plays a vital role in transporting nutrients and oxygen to cells, removing waste products from the body, and supporting the immune system. In addition, plasma helps to regulate blood pressure and maintain fluid balance. Although plasma is a crucial component of the human body, it can be easily replaced through transfusions if necessary.

Difference between Blood and Plasma

  • Blood and plasma are two important components of the human circulatory system. Blood is a mixture of cells, enzyme proteins, and other substances suspended in plasma, the clear liquid portion of blood. Plasma consists of about 90% water, 7% essential proteins, and 3% other solutes. Blood cells make up less than 1% of whole blood volume. There are four main types of blood cells: erythrocytes (red blood cells), leukocytes (white blood cells), thrombocytes (platelets), and monocytes (macrophages). Blood cells are produced in the bone marrow and are released into the circulation when they mature.
  • Plasma is the largest component of blood by volume and is essential for maintaining fluid balance, circulating nutrients, hormones, and enzymes, and helping to remove waste products from the body. Plasma is mostly water with dissolved ions, proteins, fats, gases, vitamins, and hormones. Proteins make up about 7% of plasma by weight and include albumin, globulins, and fibrinogen. Fibrinogen helps with clotting and wound healing.


Blood and plasma are two important parts of the human body. Plasma is a clear, yellow liquid that makes up 55% of blood volume. It is mainly water but also contains proteins, electrolytes, and nutrients. Plasma helps transport red blood cells and other important substances throughout the body. Blood is made up of plasma and red blood cells. Red blood cells carry oxygen throughout the body. When you donate blood or have a blood transfusion, you are giving someone else your plasma and red blood cells. Thanks for reading!

Share this post

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on email