Apricots and peaches are both fruit that is commonly enjoyed during the summertime. Though they may seem similar, there are some distinct differences between the two. Apricots are smaller and have a more orange color, while peaches are larger with a reddish hue. Peaches also have fuzzier skin than apricots. The taste of these fruits is also different; apricots are tart while peaches are sweet. Regardless of these differences, both apricots and peaches make for a delicious snack or addition to a recipe.
What are Apricots?
Apricots are a type of fruit that belongs to the rose family. Apricots are believed to have originated in northwestern China, and they were later introduced to Europe and the Middle East by traders and travelers.
Apricots are available fresh or canned, and they can be used in a variety of recipes, such as pies, jams, and fruit salads. Apricots are a good source of fiber, vitamins A and C, and potassium.
When choosing fresh apricots, look for fruits that are plump and firm with smooth skin. Avoid apricots that are bruised or have wrinkled skin. Canned apricots can be found in the grocery store year-round. Apricots can also be dried or frozen for longer-term storage.
What are Peaches?
Peaches are a type of stone fruit that belongs to the Prunus genus. Peaches are native to China and have been cultivated for over 2,000 years. Peaches are harvested from June to August and come in many different varieties, including white peaches, yellow peaches, and donut peaches. Peaches are a popular fruit to eat fresh, but they can also be used in jams, jellies, pies, and other desserts. Peaches are a good source of vitamins A and C, as well as fiber.
Difference between Apricots and Peaches
Apricots and peaches are both members of the Prunus genus and are closely related botanically.
- Apricots are generally smaller and have a more oval shape than peaches, with smooth, velvety skin that is orange or yellow with a red blush.
- The flesh of the apricot is also orange or yellow and is fairly firm, although it can become somewhat mushy if the fruit is overripe.
- Apricots are tart and acidic, with a sweet-tart flavor. Peaches, on the other hand, are rounder with fuzzy skin that is yellow or white with a pink or red blush.
- The flesh of a peach is also yellow or white, although it may have a pink or red tinge near the pit.
- Peaches are generally sweeter than apricots, although they can also have a slightly acidic flavor.
Apricots are native to China, while peaches originated in Persia. Apricots are typically in season from May to August, while peaches are usually available from June to September.
Apricots and peaches are both fruits that can be enjoyed during the summertime. They are both great sources of vitamins and minerals, but they do have some differences. Peaches are juicier than apricots, and they also have a softer texture. Apricots are smaller than peaches and their skin is tougher. Both fruits are good sources of fiber, potassium, vitamin A, and vitamin C. Which fruit do you prefer- apricots or peaches?